Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Butter and An Apology to Mandi

Ah....remember all those times when you were small and we used to leave the butter on the counter and  you would go into the kitchen and it would be very quiet. And I would call to you, "Mandi, what are you doing? Are you eating the butter again?" You would remain quiet and I would go into the kitchen and there would be finger marks in the butter and a corner of the cube missing.

I apologize to you for all those times of stopping you from eating the butter.

For French butter is not to be spread, but lathered, heavily upon one's bread. There is an indescribable  something about French butter. After asking for a un peu de buerre, we are always given more than a "tiny bit." Perhaps it is because the restaraunteurs know French butter is superior to American butter and if they do not give us a large chunk, we will ask for more. And always, your father and I are so surprised to receive such a large chunk of butter, for surely, how could one eat so much butter?

But then we ask for more bread because we have more butter we want to spread and eat, and indulge in.

So Mandi, we apologize for stopping you from eating the butter but the greater apology is in that it wasn't French butter.
xxooo

1 comment:

mandi said...

hilarious. One of my favorite comfort foods is bread and butter. I'm sure I would have devoured the french butter...mouth watering now...