Friday, May 1, 2009

In Every Book...

In every book is a little vacation. This was quoted at a talk today that I heard on literacy.

I am so proud of the readers that you girls are. I wanted to share some important details about reading with children. Holly, you are already a whiz at this and I think Mandi, Jillian, and Pj (someday) you will all do the same for your children. Here they are:
*Reading is to the mind like exercise is for the body
*Children that are read to have 4 to 5000 more words in their vocabulary
*Nursery rhymes are very important and rhyming words are the beginning recognitions of the flow of language and rhymes are critical to language acquisition
*Implement a strict bedtime but allow child to stay up another half hour to hour for reading
*Give books for birthdays and holidays
*Listen to CD's instead of watching DVD's in the car and at home to foster imagination
*Do library and bookstore story time
* Get children their own library card when age eligible
*keep books in the car-reachable from child's car seat
*Child should have own place for books or bookshelf
*REaders are 300% more likely to: attend plays, museums, exercise, volunteer, not pick their nose (chuckle-not really)
*Two book recommendations on the importance of reading to children: Read to Your Bunny by Rosemary Wells and Reading Magic: Why Reading aloud to our children will change their lives forever-I haven't read either yet

There you have it! Now who wouldn't read to their children?

No comments: