Friday, June 1, 2007

Coincidence


Julie has been my friend for thirty years. When she told me she was going to remarry, I was thrilled for her and an offer to host a bridal shower sprung from the love I felt for her.

Months passed and I had spontaneously enrolled in three university classes. Shakespeare, young adult literature and a technology class had taken over my life. When the time came for Julia’s shower I knew it would be a stretch. The night before the shower, my daughter injured her foot in a competitive soccer game. She wanted to go to the emergency room but the coach encouraged us to use ice and heat alternatively and wait a few days. The next morning my daughter slept in but when she awoke, I didn’t know what condition she would be in. I didn’t know if she would be able to walk, if she would be in pain, or if I would have to take her to the hospital.

The women gathered at eleven a.m. for brunch. It was a lovely day. I had prepared all week so the event wasn’t overwhelming and everything was going smooth. When Julia arrived, she inquired about each of my children. I told her of the injured soccer foot and she quickly mentioned that her fiancĂ©e would be dropping by and he could look at it.

I had only met Bill once and had forgotten that he was a doctor. Regardless of Julia’s offer, I knew how some doctor’s feel about treating out-of-office-friend’s children. I didn’t count on Bill looking at my daughter’s foot.

At party’s end, Julia remembered and asked Bill to look at the injury. He knelt down next to her, took her foot in his hand and proceeded to ask her details about the injury. Julia sided next to me and said, “You know this is Bill’s specialty, he’s a sports injury doctor.” No, I hadn’t known.

Within a few moments Dr. Bill identified the injury and with a positive diagnosis, told us we should see our doctor if it didn’t heal within the week.

I looked at the moment, the stress, the sacrifice, and my determination to give to Julia in the days before she began her life with Bill. I felt overwhelmed by the circumstances and blessing of what she was able to give back. It was really a remarkable coincidence, but then…What is a coincidence?

2 comments:

the granola said...

I've always wondered about the 'mechanism' for what appears to be more coincidences that happen to people of faith. Is it simply that we notice them more, and so appreciate them?

Thank you. I've enjoyed reading your blog. I found you from feminist mormon housewives.

You've written for newspapers and magazines! I've just started myself, for a small local one. It is a step in my career as a writer that I didn't quite expect, but has opened up new vistas.

Holly said...

I'm glad to hear that PJ's foot should be okay. You have another comment leaver-yeah!