
We are vacationing with a group of friends. Each family is staying at their own beach house which are linked together like gems on a bracelet. Our family stops at the real estate office where we pay our balance of the rent and receive the key to our beach cottage. We are happily moving in when our friend and neighbor for the week stops by, his nerves a little on edge. He is without the key to his cottage and stops to count his money on our kitchen counter. It turns out he has forgotten his checkbook and if he uses all his cash to pay the rent he will have only a few dollars left for his family’s vacation. We, however, have our checkbook and much to our friend’s discomfort, we insist on writing a check for him. He is embarrassed and reluctant to accept even though he realizes it is his only alternative. He concedes only because he is in a bind. I want to put him at ease and so I ask him, “Would you do the same for us?” I recognize in his relief that he would be happy to help us out had we forgotten our checkbook. With this new perspective, his worry is put to rest because what we feel in our hearts is what he feels in his.
I usually pride myself on my independence and self-sufficiency. This day I have already hiked a fair distance in ski boots, carrying two sets of skis and herding two young children. When I arrive at the ticket office, I realize I have miscalculated and I am short the necessary funds to buy everyone a ski pass. Mildly in a panic, I will have to get on the shuttle, return to the car for the needed money. But then I remember I have a friend who works here and I ask her humbly for help. Without letting me finish my explanation, she hands me the lift ticket I can’t afford. To ease my embarrassment I silently ask myself if I would do the same for her. Of course I would, because what she feels in her heart is what I feel in mine.
Ski passes. Vacation homes. As much as I appreciated the help and loved giving help, I ask myself, “How out of touch can a person be?” There are people without food and homes who need my help. I guess the real question that needs to be asked is “What can I do for those who can never do for me?”
2 comments:
Inspirational thoughts, as always
Thanks for the story... it makes me think about how many times I need help and don't let others give the way I would give. Hmmm, interesting!
Meg :-)
Post a Comment