Monday, January 21, 2013

Cross Country Skiing on MLK Holiday

There were several highlights of this incredibly beautiful day on the other side of the mountain. Foremost, the sun shined, the air was clean and it was relatively warm. Warmer than the valley inversion. Foremost #2 was enjoying the company of my favorite people. Time with London is coming to a close as he prepares for his mission departure. What an interesting phenomenon we experience as people who love and try to serve the Lord. We will miss his unusual brand of humor. When I asked if anyone brought snacks, he cheerfully responded, "I brought bacon." Tony and I just looked at each other and couldn't help laugh (a lot) at this London humor.


Foremost #3 Watching Jillian's approach to a hill. Priceless. So Jillian. Some of her actions are so characteristic of who she is and who she's always been. Yes sir, from those first moments fighting for her breath to this day at the Nordic center.






Tony and I skied through some thick powder because it's something we love to do--get off the beaten path, so to speak.  I thought of my Grandma Zobrist who used to have to ski to school in the alps of Switzerland. No one taught her how to ski. She explained that they (not sure who they was) strapped on her skis and pushed her down the hill. She was on her own. After all, she was Swiss and when you're Swiss and live in the Alps-you ski. Like an Hawaiian child knows how to swim.

1 comment:

mandi said...

Awesome!! Great pics. I wish I could have gone with you guys.