


We browsed the rows and rows of Christmas trees with the sense of urgency that every bidder must feel. I found a "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" themed tree that was whimsical, unusually shaped and dressed in the bright blues and greens that I love. PJ found a different tree that she was immediately attached too. As the adult with the pocketbook, we put a bid on the tree that I wanted, but shortly after, someone else added a bid on my desired tree, bumping the price too high. When this happened PJ was already standing by her tree, ready to put in a bid. We were communicating by cell phone because the bidding was about to close. She was so delighted and she felt so strong about getting this tree that I was happy to give in.
While eating dinner, PJ and I ran into the Brunst's and of course they wanted us to show them our tree. While conversing and standing in front of the tree, a hesitant girl came up to Tammy and asked her if the tree sold. Tammy said "YEs!! And the people who bought it are right here." We met Amanda, the creator of the tree, a sixteen year old young woman who had spent two years making everything for the tree. While PJ and Amanda hugged and took a photo together, Amanda's mom told me that Amanda was so nervous the tree wouldn't sell. And imagine if it hadn't. No one else had put a bid on the tree.
I believe that PJ's attachment to the tree came from listening to the spirit and the prayers of the young woman who had given so much.
The festival of trees is the annual fund raiser for Primary Children's Hospital. When ever I question whether we should be spending so much money for a tree or a wreath, PJ always asks me, "What if you couldn't afford to pay for my hospital care?" Her question always changes the perspective of money.
This year we ran into Marchelle who told us a beautiful story. Her nephew drowned a few years ago while they were at Lake Powell. Her sister-in-law put some of her anguish into decorating a tree in honor of her son. Each tree has its own story and the people who bought the tree, purchased it for the sole purpose of giving it back to the mother...The spirit of the festival of trees.
Our own experience this year has given me a different purpose for buying a tree--to help the hospital is enough of a great reason. But the next time we'll think more of the giver.
Next year? I can't wait.
1 comment:
This is a very touching story and the tree is beautiful. Hooray for tender-hearted PJ.
Did the presents come with the tree? They are so beautiful and so perfectly coordinated!
Post a Comment