Sunday, May 11, 2008

Optimizing the Situation



Optimizing the Situation-Belize 2007



Tony and I spent an evening at Scott and Carol's cabin with a few other couples. We had a scrumptious dinner and for dessert, there were a couple of frozen pies. The woman who had brought the pies started thawing them five hours previous to dinner but at 8:00 they were still not completely thawed. I noticed my husband in the kitchen moving the pies around and feeling the kitchen counter tops. I thought it was a little strange until he told me he was optimizing the situation. As the pie sat on the counter, the warmth in the counter sucked out the cold but held the cold in the spot; by moving the pies around he was optimizing the warmth and cutting down the length of defrost time. He also taught me that optimizing is something that computer scientists do all the time.

One thing I love about the contrast between my husband and me: he thinks completely different. I would never think of a pie defrost exercise--or optimizing the situation--but I plan to.

2 comments:

Holly said...

That is so Dad, and the funny thing is that I do it too (with hot stuff). He probably taught me.

Happy Mother's Day!

Holly said...

Forget optimizing, he just wanted pie ASAP and was paranoid it wouldn't be ready before you went home!