Saturday, January 12, 2008

How Do I Feel About Writing?


In a Teaching Composition class, Dr. Deborah Dean, asked us to write our feelings about writing. Simple enough. Simple, unimaginative, explanation. Then she asked us to make a collage depicting how we felt about writing. I like this, I thought, playtime. In college! As the students began, there was a light hearted buzz.
As I looked through magazines in search of the images that would visually describe my feelings, I noticed the room was quiet except for the subtle snips of scissors. Everyone was engaged.
As I found the right interpretations for my feelings, I translated the images into new metaphors, "The glowing fire in the hearth reminds me that writing is an intimate experience. We cuddle up before our intended work; there is an energy source, and it brings warmth and comfort. Good writing draws you near it; the possibility of good writing draws you to the experience of trying."

No comments: