Monday, November 5, 2007

Art Has A Mind of its Own

I believe that all things have two creations, a spiritual and a physical. Things are first born in our minds; they come to us as a thought, an impression or an image. To act on these whisperings completes a circle . The spiritual creation may have more power or life than we realize. You hear authors say that their character was always there, waiting for a writer to bear witness of her existence. When the author tried to change a personality trait or correct an action, the command of the character claimed otherwise.
My stained glass window, recently finished, seemed "to be." Whether it was deep in my self-conscious or really existed on a plane that I do not understand, the piece of art took its own direction and became what it was always meant to be. Michelangelo said that his sculptures already existed in the marble.

I hadn't meant the tree trunk to be a woman, but she became one. I hadn't meant for the light green sphere to be her humble, bowing head. I hadn't meant for the spheres to be the many burdens she carries on her back; but the joyful colors symbolize that her burdens are also her joys. The stained glass art has become more than glass cut and fused together; it is a creation and when we understand this we see the beauty in all creations, a business, a bridge, a life-- for we understand that art or creation has a mind of its own.

1 comment:

mandi said...

beautiful, both physically and spiritally Mom:)