Thursday, October 18, 2007

Expecting the Worst From the Best

My latest pursuit of seeking a teaching certificate put me smack in the middle of 7th grade. Again. And it's funner the second time.
This time I came to seventh grade with:
  • zero self-conciousness,
  • sure knowledge that seventh grade is a sliver in time,
  • twenty-six years of mothering,
  • knowledge that bad behavior doesn't mean bad, and if you get in a photograph with seventh grade boys, YOU WILL BE BUNNY EARED.
But it IS what I expected and that is why the photo is so endearing. It is the same reason that we compassionately hold babies that cry, forgive children that say "I hate you mom," and keep our cool after our sixteen-year-old's first car accident. It is what we expect and we are prepared for these moments.

Because I expected to be bunny eared I did my best to prepare. In the moment before the photo was shot, I thought I could swat away their attempts; but I only made it more fun...which leads me to conclude, expect the worst in the best, prepare the best you can, then smile and say cheese.

2 comments:

mandi said...

so cool!!

Holly said...

I love this writing!

Why did we ever think bunny ears were cool?